By beating Southampton 2-0 at St. Mary’s, Arsenal wasn’t influenced as they avoided a third consecutive loss in the Premier League.

A productive first half saw Eddie Nketiah pounce on an Alex McCarthy mistake to give Arsenal the advantage and prevailed to remain strong under pressure in the second period.

With Joe Willock netting his first Premier League goal, Jack Stephens’ late red card helped their cause shortly afterward to round up the three points and lift their Europa League qualification hopes. Nketiah scored lawfully in the 20th minute, closing down McCarthy and stopping his attempted pass before getting to an empty pocket.

Saints started the second half on the front foot but nearly found themselves 2-0 down in the 54th minute. Aubameyang raced on Emiliano Martinez’s drop-kick and tried to square Nketiah across the target, just for Jan Bednarek to steer it just past the post. Martinez refused Shane Long before Arsenal triumphed.

As the last man to earn a straight red, Stephens tripped Aubameyang, and the effort of Alexandre Lacazette fell kindly to him after the resulting free-kick Willock turned in from close quarters.

Arsenal clash with Sheffield United in the FA Cup quarter-finals on Sunday before going home to Norwich City for the Premier League action the Wednesday following. Saints face Watford in the league at Vicarage Road in three days.

In a match of the English Premier League’s 31st round, Burnley at home prevailed over Watford with a 1:0 result. Burnley striker Jay Rodriguez scored the only goal in the game in 73rd minute.

The squad of Sean Dyche is on the 11th position in the English Premier League after the 31 tours, with the asset being three points 42.

With 28 points, Nigel Pearson ‘s team is in the 16th position. Burnley’s next match against Crystal Palace London will be on June 29, with Watford hosting Southampton a day earlier.

The match was held without fans because of the threat of coronavirus infection spreading.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here