Manchester City faces Newcastle United in their first match since being crowned Premier League champions on Friday night. Last time out, the Citizens were defeated 2-1 by Chelsea, but Manchester United’s home loss to Leicester City on Tuesday evening ensured the club’s fifth title in ten seasons. Newcastle’s Premier League survival is now ensured, due to a turnaround in results that has relieved pressure on manager Steve Bruce. Read more Newcastle United vs. Manchester City here.
Newcastle United Team News
• Callum Wilson’s hamstring has re-injured, and he will miss the remainder of the season. Newcastle, for the most part, has escaped relegation. Joelinton will step in on Friday night.
• Fabian Schar is out of the lineup for Steve Bruce’s side, and four players are hospitalized.
• Newcastle’s Joseph Willock has scored in four straight games and will continue to open this game.
• Ciaran Clark was unable to play against Leicester on Friday, but he did make the bench, and he should be able to reclaim his starting place from Emil Krafth after another week of training.
Manchester City Team News
• In Manchester City’s 2-1 defeat to Chelsea last weekend, Pep Guardiola rested a host of key players, but Phil Foden, Ilkay Gundogan, and Bernardo Silva could return on Friday.
• With the Champions League final coming up at the end of the month, Kevin De Bruyne was left on the bench against Chelsea due to fitness problems, and Guardiola will keep him on the bench against Newcastle.
• Sergio Aguero’s missing penalty essentially cost City the game against Chelsea, and if De Bruyne is not risked, Gabriel Jesus or Raheem Sterling is more likely to start.
• City’s John Stones is also back from suspension and can start at center-back alongside Ruben Dias.
Newcastle United vs. Manchester City – Our Prediction:
• Newcastle defeated Leicester 4-2 away from home last time out, ensuring their Premier League status for another season. Just two of Steve Bruce’s team’s last ten league games have ended in defeat, with victories over Liverpool and Tottenham.
• Since March, Manchester City has lost three times in the Premier League, to Chelsea, Leeds United, and Manchester United. Even if they’ve only won one of their last four Premier League games at St. James’ Park, they’re still big favorites to win. Newcastle may have evolved in recent years, but with nothing to fight with, they are likely to ease off the gas pedal.
City won the Premier League with a few games to spare and will now focus on the Champions League final against Chelsea.
In preparation for that game, Guardiola would almost certainly change his lineup several times during the next two weeks, which Newcastle might take advantage of.
We believe the Magpies will get a point on Friday night after beating Leicester last week and picking up points against Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur last month.
Newcastle United possible starting lineup:
Dubravka; Fernandez, Clark, Dummett; Murphy, Almiron, Shelvey, Willock, Ritchie; Saint-Maximin, Joelinton
Manchester City possible starting lineup:
Ederson; Walker, Stones, Dias, Zinchenko; Silva, Rodrigo, Gundogan; Mahrez, Jesus, Foden
Our Prediction: Newcastle United 1-1 Manchester City
For Latest Football News & Updates Subscribe to Madoverfootball.com