Liverpool takes on Newcastle United at Anfield on Saturday at lunchtime, hoping to get back to their pursuit of a top-four Premier League finish. The Reds were held to a 1-1 draw by Leeds United last weekend. Newcastle’s upward trend began with a 3-2 victory over top-four hopeful West Ham United. Find our Liverpool vs Newcastle United predictions below.
- Jurgen Klopp’s confirmed that Nathaniel Phillips will miss his second game in a row. Fabinho will once again deputize at the center back.
- On Saturday, Salah will replace one of Diogo Jota, Sadio Mane, or Roberto Firmino.
- Allan Saint-Maximin injured his ankle against West Ham last weekend, but he practiced all week.
- Callum Wilson returned from a hamstring injury and while he has been eased back into the game, he could make his debut on Saturday.
- Fabian Schar could find the weekend too soon, even though he has trained the whole week. Karl Darlow will be out for a few weeks after toe surgery.
- Liverpool will now continue their pursuit of Champions League football after a frustrating 1-1 draw with Leeds on Monday night, now that the European Super League has been abolished. Fortunately for Jurgen Klopp’s team, their opponents dropped points as well. They have a fantastic chance to move up to a fourth-place with West Ham and Chelsea meeting this weekend,
- Newcastle has only lost once in their last seven games and has won back-to-back games. This form has put them in a strong position to retain their Premier League status. They’ve picked up points at the right moment as they prepare to face Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester City, and Manchester City. They divide the bottom three by eight points.
Newcastle are on a roll at the moment, which is ideal for Bruce as he tries to keep them out of the notorious trapdoor, but their defense remains suspicious, with three central defenders out with injuries.
The fall of Saint-Maximin will be a devastating blow to their offensive prowess, and while Anfield is no longer the fortress it once was, Salah and his teammates would be hoping for another three points against the Magpies.
Liverpool possible starting lineup:
Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho, Kabak, Robertson; Wijnaldum, Thiago, Milner; Salah, Firmino, Mane
Newcastle United possible starting lineup:
Dubravka; Murphy, Fernandez, Clark, Dummett, Ritchie; Shelvey, Longstaff; Almiron; Wilson, Joelinton
Liverpool vs Newcastle United predictions
Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle United