Manchester City says they made no bid to Lionel Messi, with the deal for the Barcelona forward due to expire at the end of the season.

The Argentine superstar is free to talk to non-Spanish clubs and has been linked to many leading European sides, with Paris Saint-Germain champions City and Ligue 1 seen as the leading candidates.

It has been claimed that a revised bid for Messi was made by the Premier League leaders, but a club spokesman told Goal that the speculation is not accurate and that no talks have taken place.

A switch for the six-time Ballon d’Or winner has long been linked to City, partly because of the chance to work with his former mentor, Pep Guardiola.

One of the few clubs that could support his salary is the Premier League side and there have been suggestions that a contract could also see him play for other parties in the City Football Community – like New York City FC.

Indeed, following Barca’s 4-1 home loss to PSG in the Champions League on Tuesday, the suggestion that Messi would leave at the end of this season grew stronger, with their inconsistent campaign struggling to gain traction again.

But Goal was told by a club source that City had made no offers for the forward, either in the summer or since then, and that no talks were currently open.

Messi, who turns 34 in June, will be waiting until the end of the season to determine his future and whether to extend his deal at Barca, where he has spent his entire career as a player.

The objective has heard that Messi is tired of the relentless media reports and that at the end of the season he will make an announcement in terms of where he will play for and beyond the 2021-22 campaign.

It is known that the Argentine has chosen not to do so, despite being in a position to speak with other clubs.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here