Liverpool has struggled to score for the first time in 28 years since being humbled 4-0 by Manchester City in five straight fixtures away.

After City’s 2-1 defeat at Chelsea last week, the Reds claimed the Premier League title, becoming the first team to claim the trophy with seven matches to spare.

Jurgen Klopp’s men are also on course to smash the 100-point record haul set by City in 2018-19 but, they took their eyes off the ball on Thursday at Etihad Stadium.

Liverpool started the lighter in a top of the table clash without any atmosphere, because of the continuing absence of supporters in the coronavirus pandemic. The team was welcomed to the pitch by an honor guard from the home side.

But it was Pep Guardiola’s Blues that finally took the lead, with Kevin De Bruyne coolly converting a penalty after Raheem Sterling was fouled into the box.

Sterling grabbed his 13th goal of the season to bring City 2-0 up on the clock with 35 minutes, as he finished off a fluid counter-attack after showing great composure in the box.

Just before the half-time whistle, Foden scored the home side’s third goal, firing an unstoppable shot past Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson, following a quick one-two with De Bruyne.

A goal scored by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain compounded Red’s frustration in the second half, as City narrowed the gap at the top of the Premier League to 20 points with five games left for play.

For the first time since April 1992, when they suffered an eight-match streak on the road without a goal, Liverpool has now gone five consecutive away games without scoring in all competitions.

Their second defeat was also the worst joint by a side champions already crowned in Premier League history, with Liverpool already beating Arsenal after their 1997-98 coronation by a 4-0 scoreline of the game.

Ahead of a meeting with Aston Villa on Sunday, Liverpool will now have to pick up again, while City is preparing for a tough trip to Southampton.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here