Chelsea prepares to face West Ham in a Premier League matchup on Saturday. There’s much more at stake than just bragging rights in this London derby. The Blues with a goalless draw against Brighton & Hove Albion on Tuesday, regained their place in the top four of the table, while West Ham is just a point behind their forthcoming opponents on goal difference in fifth place. Find our West Ham vs Chelsea prediction below.
- Craig Dawson is suspended by West Ham following his red card against Newcastle.
- Aaron Cresswell could be healthy enough to replace Dawson in West Ham’s back three.
- Fabián Balbuena could make his first league start since December if Creswell is also ruled out if Moyes opts for a three-man defense.
- Despite Arthur Masuaku’s injury concern, Ben Johnson has a good chance of remaining in the starting lineup on Saturday.
- Thiago Silva is expected to return to the starting XI on Saturday after being rested against Brighton on Tuesday night.
- Cesar Azpilicueta, N’Golo Kante, and Ben Chilwell were all given the night off against Brighton and should be back in the starting lineup tomorrow.
- Timo Werner and Christian Pulisic are likely to compete for a place in Chelsea’s attack on Saturday.
- Callum Hudson-Odoi could make his debut at right wing-back as Reece James started against Brighton and Manchester City in the span of a few days.
- Edouard Mendy is expected to return to the starting lineup even after Kepa played against Brighton in midweek.
- Last time out in the Premier League, West Ham and Chelsea both lost points, with the Hammers losing 3-2 to Newcastle and Chelsea just drawing with Brighton. In the race for a top-four spot, all London clubs are now tied on 55 points. If Liverpool defeats Newcastle in Saturday’s early kick-off, they will leapfrog both teams into fourth place.
- West Ham has transformed the London Stadium into a fortress in the absence of spectators having lost just three games at home this season. In addition, the Hammers have just lost one of their last six home matches against Chelsea, winning four of them.
- Chelsea has only lost once since Thomas Tuchel took over, but their performances, especially in the league, have been mixed.
West Ham has been beset by injuries and suspensions at the worst possible moment, but this could still be an exciting matchup between one of the league’s better home teams and Tuchel’s away-day specialists.
As FA Cup and Champions League frustration sets in, the Blues have only won one of their last four league games, and with West Ham possessing a solid home record over their London rivals, we expect this match to end all square in an outcome that will do nothing to help either side’s top-four aspirations.
West Ham United possible starting lineup:
Fabianski; Ogbonna, Diop, Balbuena; Coufal, Soucek, Noble, Johnson; Fornals; Bowen, Lingard
Chelsea possible starting lineup:
Mendy; Azpilicueta, Silva, Rudiger; James, Kovacic, Kante, Chilwell; Mount, Werner; Havertz
West Ham vs Chelsea prediction :
West Ham United 1-1 Chelsea