Maguire’s appeal unlikely to be heard in 2021, official says

sportschau_4.jpg

sportschau.com

Due to a backlog in Greece’s legal system caused by the coronavirus pandemic, Harry Maguire is unlikely to be called to court for his appeal hearing this year, leaving the Manchester United and England defender free to concentrate on his football, including the European Championship this summer.

Following a vacation on Mykonos in August 2020, Maguire was found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, and attempted bribery, and it was anticipated that he will be called before the summer for an appeals court hearing on Syros, the Cycladic island chain’s capital.

However, a judicial official told the Guardian on Friday that this was now impossible due to the pandemic’s effect on the tribunal’s caseload.

The official said, “Only emergency cases are being held.” “We have a backlog that dates back many years, and we have adjournments every week. This case will most likely not be heard until the end of 2021.” On Friday, United declined to comment on the new developments.

After a brawl outside a Mykonos town pub, the defender was arrested after a run-in with undercover cops trying to break up the brawl. Maguire, who turned 28 on Friday, has vehemently denied the allegations, calling them “wrong and baseless.”

After a brawl outside a Mykonos town pub, the defender was arrested after a run-in with undercover cops trying to break up the brawl. Maguire, who turned 28 on Friday, has vehemently denied the allegations, calling them “wrong and misleading” by his defense team.

However, a judicial official told the Guardian on Friday that this was now impossible due to the pandemic’s effect on the tribunal’s caseload.

The official said, “Only emergency cases are being held.” “We have a backlog that dates back many years, and we have adjournments every week. This case will most likely not be heard until the end of 2021.” On Friday, United declined to comment on the new developments.

The England international was arrested after a brawl outside a Mykonos town bar resulted in a run-in with undercover cops trying to abduct him. Days after his arrest, he told the BBC that his conscience was clear and that he had been “scared for my life” and worried he was being abducted when the officers first captured him on the party island.

The defender promptly appealed the decision after receiving a 21-month prison term with a three-year suspension. His two co-defendants, including his footballer brother Joe, were sentenced to 13 months in prison with no possibility of parole. They’ve even filed an appeal. After the court accepted their clean criminal records, all three were released.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top