The unnamed player, who will now be isolating himself for 14 days, was screened on Saturday-two other players tested positive in the pandemic earlier.
Brighton players have been training on the training ground separately and the club is promising that this will be allowed to continue.
It didn’t take long for the conspiracy theorists to point out that Brighton was vocal in their opposition to playing games on neutral venues and wondering if there was a connection between that and the Covid-19 positive test.
Premier League clubs are expected to meet on Monday to discuss their latest Restart Project plan further.
“It is alarming,” said Paul Barber, chief executive of Brighton, to Sky Sports. “We also suffered from another player testing positive for the virus, given all the steps we’ve taken in the past few weeks, where the players have not been involved in any meaningful training at all.”
Responding to the Brighton player’s report, Norwich’s midfielder Todd Cantwell, 22, tweeted: “We are just people too.”
A third Brighton player was also diagnosed with the coronavirus, the club said. The players’ names had not been released, two had been diagnosed before, and a third had been positive on a Saturday test they conducted at the club. It will need to quarantine the entire team, the BBC reported.
The Premier League has been suspended since March 13 but plans to restart in June, behind closed doors, with most teams having nine games left to play.
This does not pay any attention to the professionalism of the medical staff involved-who communicated with each other throughout the Premier League to discuss a restart prospect.
English clubs will decide this season’s fate on Monday and the idea of continuing the championship by playing on neutral ground, Wembley most likely. Brighton and four other clubs reject the continuation of the championship.